- A chemical peel is a technique used to improve the appearance of the skin on the face. Certain chemical agents (trichloroacetic acid, glycolic acid, salicylic acid) are used to penetrate the epidermis and superficial dermis which remove the superficial layers of the skin. The new, regenerated skin is usually smoother, refreshed, less wrinkled and with less discoloration.
- It helps to improve acne scars, fine lines and wrinkles, spots produced by sun exposure, to unclog the pores and to smooth the skin.
- The procedure is started at the clinic, lasts approximately 20 minutes and it is completed at home. It is a safe, effective and well tolerated treatment.
- A stinging sensation may be felt but this calms when the peel is completed and after applying certain moisturizing and soothing creams. Redness will appear and it can last over 2—3 days. During this time it is important to wash your face gently and to apply moisturizer and sunscreen. Makeup can usually be worn the next day. Between the second and fifth day after treatment skin will peel off as expected.
- The peel can be repeated every 3-4 weeks to obtain a deeper restore of the skin.
In Clínica Eguren we have the revolutionary ZO 3-Step Peel:
What is ZO 3-Step Peel?
It’s a highly effective medium-strength medical peel designed by ZO Skin Health to treat in three steps the many signs of skin aging, sun damage and pigmentation issues, fine lines or badly textured skin. In only one treatment it’s able to exfoliate the epidermis (the superficial layer of the skin), to stimulate and renew the dermal cells (cells of the intermediate layer of the skin) and calm the skin.
For which cases is the 3-Step Peel indicated?
3-Step Peel is indicated for patients of any skin type and color, who require a medium-strength skin peel but with minimal downtime (2-3 days), to treat:
- melasma or other pigmentation issues
- sun damage
- fine lines and wrinkles
- deep /large pores
- badly textures skin
- uneven skin tone
- acne prone skin
This peel can be applied on the face, neck, chest and hands.
How is the procedure with 3-Step-Peel?
First stage: preparation
I recommend pre-conditioning your skin using retinoid creams 2-3 weeks prior to the application of the peel. Retinoids help strengthen the skin to imporove barrier function and accelerate its recuperation. In addition they maximize the chemical peel results. You should stop using retinoids 3 days before the procedure.
Second stage: the peel
In this stage the chemical peel is performed. It is done in three steps:
Step 1. Epidermal exfoliation
A peel solution composed of trichloroacetic acid 10%, salicylic acid 17% and lactic acid 5% is applied. The peel also contains saponins to minimize the inflammation and glycerin for hydration.
Step 2. Dermic Stimulation
In this step a Stimulating 6% Retinol Crème is applied. The cream works to stimulate cellular function at a deep skin level. The results include collagen enhancement as well as firming and wrinkle reduction.
Step 3. Antiinflammatory
Refers to the application of the Calming Crème Post Procedure Skin Relief. This cream works to minimize inflammation and irritation that may result from the first two steps, as well as restore the moisture balance of the skin.
Third stage: post-peel care
The days following the in-office treatment you should apply the Calming Crème, that I will provide you, to speed the healing process, and sunscreen. Five days after the treatment you can start using again retinoid creams.
What can I expect of 3-Step Peel?
Immediately after the peel you should expect redness, swelling and sensation of tightness. Within 2-3 days the outer layers of the skin will begin to peel off, a process that will continue over the following days. By the 7th to 10th days, the skin should be healed and improvement noticeable. The skin’s condition will continue to improve during the weeks following the peel.
What makes the ZO 3-Step Stimulation Peel so special?
This multi-functional peel provides lasting benefits. Post-treatment peeling is mild to moderate and any discomfort is mitigated by the ZO Medical Calming Crème sent home with the patient. Further, the 3-Step Stimulation Peel corresponds with Dr. Obagi’s new skincare philosophy emphasizing skin healh. “Physicians and skincare professionals should focus on making skin continuously healthy rather than transiently treating symptoms of poor skin health”.